Monday 31 March 2014

Fragment of a slate tablet of Cthulhu

So, the first actual stone item I've made -  done just before the Elder Sign below, since this one didn't actually need the dremel given how soft slate is.  Softer than I remembered actually, I knew you could leave white lines on it easily, didn't realise how easy it was to properly carve into it though.  Neat.  That said the dremel came in useful for the writing/markings on the reverse because the shear number would have taken much longer than the few minutes it did.

I tried to give the look of it being a mere fragment of a much larger piece by having Cthulhu only half on it and having the symbols go across the edge. Not sure how successful I was. I also wanted the symbols on the back to look much simpler, but also more like a possible language - more like cuneiform. So for that I went with lots of little dashes in lines, while the front had larger, more abstract symbols dotted between the lines of Cthulhu himself.

Interestingly (to me) the state feels much more fragile to the touch now.  Not in that it's cheaper umbra, more that the thinner bits just give the impression of being ready to snap at any moment. I kinda like it, I was expecting a stone piece to have a solid feeling

No comments:

Post a Comment