Friday 26 December 2014

Enigmatic Staff


This was the first of three staffs I made for the last Empire Larp. The first was for me, an 'Engimatic Staff' attuned to the realm of night. The description said 'These polished black staves often bear subtly scintillating runes of black upon black'. But black on black isn't especially interesting to look at (though I considered one of those slightly iridescent black paints) so I went with silver runes and silver vines going up it.

I did briefly attempt to give it a glow in the dark glaze over the runes but it was barely noticeable at night and dulled the silver during the day.

Its a simple bit of dowel that I engraved with a dremel. Which actually took ages, all the little ridges from the grain meant it took forever to get it smooth. After engraving I gave it a light sand, stained it ebony, and used some silver enamel paint for the vines and runes.







No comments:

Post a Comment